Focus on What Is Unseen
By Rick Warren
“Things that are seen don’t last forever, but things that are not seen are eternal. That’s why we keep our minds on the things that cannot be seen” (2 Corinthians 4:18 CEV).
Everything you see around you is temporary. It’s what you can’t see that will last forever.
And those realities are what truly matter.
The truth is, spiritual realities are more real than physical ones. We need to focus on the spiritual ones — what’s really real. There are five spiritual realities all of us need to take to heart.
- God made you to love you (see Jeremiah 31:3). God created you to love you, and he wants you to learn to love him back. This is the most important reality of life.
- You were made to last forever (see Ecclesiastes 3:11). The evangelist Billy Graham talked about death this way: “Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.” He is in the presence of God now.
- God has prepared two eternal places. Both Heaven and Hell are real, literal places. They’re not just “states of being.”
- You get to choose where you’ll spend eternity. You won’t accidentally find yourself in Hell one day. You’ll be there because of a choice you made. If you choose to make Jesus the boss of your life, you’ll spend eternity with him in Heaven. If you choose to reject him, you’ll spend forever in Hell. There is no middle option.
- You get no second chances to make your choice. Your choice has a time limit. You have your entire life to make the decision, but you can’t change your mind after death.
What you do with these five truths will not only affect your eternal destiny, it will also transform how you live on this side of eternity.
We live in uncertain times, so if you haven’t already made the choice for Jesus, don’t hesitate from doing so today?
If you’re ready to commit your life to Jesus, then pray this prayer:
“Dear Jesus, you have promised that if I believe in you, everything I’ve ever done wrong will be forgiven, I will learn the purpose of my life, and you will accept me into your eternal home in heaven one day.
“I confess my sin, and I believe that you are God, my Savior. I receive you into my life as my Lord. Today, I’m turning over every part of my life to your management. You have the right to call the shots in my life.
“Jesus, I want to relax in your love. Thank you that I don’t have to earn it, deserve it, or work for it. I want to use the rest of my life to serve you instead of serving myself. I humbly commit my life to you, and I ask you to save me and accept me into your family. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
You've Been Given the Power for Real, Lasting Change!
Ever wish you had more patience? Love? Joy? Self-control? Most people do, and we often exhaust ourselves trying to “be better” without ever experiencing real, lasting change.
So what’s the secret to breaking the cycle and actually becoming the person God created you to be? That’s what you’ll discover in Pastor Rick’s book God’s Power to Change Your Life.
Find out how God’s Word and the power of the Spirit work together to transform you from the inside out—so your outward behavior reflects the inward reality of Christ in your heart.
God’s Power to Change Your Life is our way to thank you for your gift below to help transform more lives with the certain hope of Jesus.
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.