Three Barriers to Hearing God’s Voice
By Rick Warren
“Get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls.” James 1:21 (NLT)
What do God’s voice and cell phones have in common? For both, you have to be positioned correctly to hear them clearly!
Reception quality with your cell phone varies widely. In a big, sturdy building, your coverage may be spotty. In a wilderness area, you’ll likely have no cell service at all. You have to be in the right position to have a clear, reliable signal.
The same is true with your relationship with God. If you want to hear God’s voice clearly and consistently, you must be positioned correctly.
What does it look like to be in the wrong position to hear God? When you’re in the wrong position, your mind is closed—you want to do what you want, not what God wants. In the wrong position, your heart is hardened—you’re unwilling to listen.
What keeps your heart hard and mind closed to God? Here are three barriers that keep you closed to God’s message:
1. Pride. If you think you don’t need God in your life and you want to handle things yourself, you’re probably not listening for God to speak. Pride keeps you from being open to the possibility that God might want to say something to you.
2. Fear. Many people can’t hear God because they’re afraid to hear God speak. You might think that hearing God’s voice or sensing his leading makes you some kind of religious fanatic. Or maybe you’re afraid of the changes you’d need to make in your life if you listened to God’s leading.
3. Bitterness. When you hold on to hurt, resentment, or a grudge, you’re not able to hear God—because your heart is hardened. A hard heart grows cold and makes you defensive, even to God’s love.
James 1:21 says, “Get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls” (NLT).
It’s time to get rid of the bitterness, fear, and pride that keep you from hearing God’s voice and living out his purpose for your life. Then you’ll be able to hear God with and open heart and mind and “humbly accept” what he’s saying to you.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
God has an adventure for you—and every day is an invitation to say ‘yes’ to his plans.
We want to help you hear from him, follow his lead, and see his hand at work in your life with the brand-new Daily Hope Prayer Journal—our way to say thanks for your gift below.
And thanks to a generous $100,000 Matching Grant, your gift will be DOUBLED to bring the hope of Jesus to even more people!
This soft, vegan leather prayer journal features . . .
• Beautifully designed pages filled with stunning artwork
• Inspiring Bible verses to encourage you each day
• Special sections to help you keep track of your prayers
It’s the perfect way to connect with the Lord through a consistent daily prayer time.
Request your Daily Hope Prayer Journal when you have your gift below doubled. We pray this journal helps you step into the adventure God has waiting for you!
All gifts will be doubled up to the full amount of the grant. Thank you for your generous support!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.